The death toll in the mass shooting inside a dance hall in Monterey Park in Los Angeles, California has climbed up to 11, with one identified as a Filipino.
The officers identified the Filipino victim as Valentino Alvero, 68 years old. His friends also confirmed the claim that he was one of the victims in Monterey shooting.
The suspect named Huu Can Tran, 72, used a semi-automatic pistol that killed men and women in their 50s, 60s and 70s.
Monterey Park resident Chester Hong told AFP he believed a domestic dispute over an invitation to a Lunar New Year eve party could be at the root of the attack.
He said Tran may be upset and jealous “The wife (was) invited to join the party (but) the husband cannot be invited,” he said.
On Monday, a photo of a man who had previously been a regular at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio and who, according to the marriage license, had immigrated from China started to surface.
Tran’s ex-wife said they first met there twenty years ago when he offered to give her informal lesson.
They married shortly after, according to the ex-wife who wished to remain unnamed, but the relationship did not last, the divorce finalized in 2006.
She claimed that Tran, who occasionally worked as a truck driver, was not violent but could be impatient, if she messed up a dance step.