Veteran human rights lawyer Chel Diokno revealed that the National Bureau of Investigation is now going after even ordinary citizens for simply airing their sentiments on the government’s response to COVID-19 on social media.
“Hindi lang si Mayor Vico. Pati ordinaryong mamamayang nagpo-post ng hinaing online, pinapatawag ng NBI,” Diokno said in a radio interview Thursday.
According to Diokno, he took on the case of a netizen who was being summoned by the NBI because the situation is turning ‘inhumane.’
“Tinanggap ko ang kasong ito dahil di na makatao ang nangyayari. Ang dami nang namamatay, pati frontliners, pero imbis na COVID, kritiko ang gusto nilang puksain,” he said.
Diokno’s post came after the NBI anti-graft division sent a letter to the Pasig mayor, asking him to explain his side for alleged violations of the Bayanihan to Heal As One Act. Diokno had earlier defended Sotto, saying the NBI should instead go after fraudsters, scammers, and those violating the law.
“Ang habulin dapat ay yung mga manloloko, mga scammer, at mga lumalabag sa batas. Wag si Mayor Vico Sotto na ginagawang maayos ang trabaho niya at nagsisilbi sa tao,” Diokno tweeted Wednesday night.
“Ang dami nang namamatay sa COVID, pero inuuna pa nila ang pamumulitika kaysa kapakanan ng taumbayan,” he added in the same tweet.